I’m pretty sure we’ve all been to or know of Nordstroms, but what not a lot of people know of is the Nordstrom BP Fashion Board!
The Nordstrom BP Fashion Board consists of high school students who are really passionate about all things fashion, etc and meet up about once a month. Being a part of the fashion board will give you insight on careers in the fashion industry, knowledge about on going trends, as well as making new friends and doing fun projects.
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- be a high school student for the following school year
- be interested in fashion! duh!
- maintain a GPA higher than a 2.5
Here are the steps to apply:
- Fill out and submit an application. You can find them online here. Applications come out in February for the next school year.
- Start on your Fashion Board project! This can be a poster, look book, painting, etc about what fashion is to you, what trends you like, your personal style, etc.
- Look for two people to write your two required letters of recommendation. Maybe a teacher, neighbor, coach, etc.
- Shortly after you fill out your application, a representative of your chosen Nordstroms will contact you and schedule an interview!
- Kick ass on your interview date! Remember to bring your recommendation letters and fashion board project!
One of my friends told me about it last spring and asked me to apply with her and I was like why not?
I filled out my application online and waited for a reply. While I waited, I asked my volleyball coach and english teacher to write me a recommendation letter and got started on my project.
I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out what I was going to do for my project but I finally came to the conclusion that i should do a sort of look book, or a book about what fashion means to me.
I didn’t take any pictures of the book but I will try to describe it as well as I can!
First, I bought a spiral bound notebook from Target. It was a pretty small notebook, probably like the size of an average novel. It had a metallic gold and taupe striped cover which was super cute! I think the notebook was about $5?
Next I looked online and magazines for my fashion inspirations. (ex. Tumblr, fashion blogs, instagram, google, pinterest, vogue, teen vogue) I printed out these photos and started cutting them out. I had a bunch of photos!
Then it was all about decorating the notebook to make it unique. I mean it was MY project.
My notebook consisted of the following pages:
- a cover page
- table of contents
- about me
- fashion inspirations
- my style
I went to the BP counter in my local Nordstrom and said I was there for the fashion board interview and the lady brought me into the stock room to be interviewed. I handed her my letters of recommendation as well as my project. The interview only took like 15 minutes. The questions they ask are pretty straight forward, things like
- Why do you want to be on the BP fashion board?
- What do you love about fashion?
- What does fashion mean to you?
- What are your extracurricular activities?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
Basically just stuff like that. I also had to explain my fashion board project.
After my interview, my interviewer said that I was basically in. About a month later, I got an email saying that I got in!
So throughout this school year, I will be keeping you guys updated on my thoughts on the fashion board, etc and answering your questions about it!
Don’t be afraid to ask me questions on the application process, etc.